Saturday, April 22, 2017

Crafting: Comic Book Z Palette


Now that I have a steady makeup collection growing, I've been thinking about getting one of those Z palettes to store single eyeshadows. But the thing is..I couldn't find ANY that fit into my aesthetic. They were either animal printed, mega bejeweled or just a bit too plain for my liking. So I went to good ol' pinterest to see if there were any DIY versions to test out and STILL nothing I liked!(though their were very interesting ideas on materials to use)  I ended up going to Youtube to see if I could find something I would like and came across a woman named Tachi Hogans making a Z palette from an old book. It turned out so cute and sparked inspiration immediately! Just think of all the possibilities...A harry Potter z Palette, or maybe a Coraline one..Howls Moving Castle maybe?? but they were a bit too small in size for what I wanted. Then it hit me...I need to make a Themed one to fit in with my Bioshock Bathroom of course! There actually is a Bioshock Novel called RAPTURE as well. I love the book (and highly recommend you read it!) but (1) its not a large book and (2)..I just could not bring myself to rip the pages ๐Ÿ˜…  I had a Hardback Comic book from a monthly subscription service that would be perfect because in all honesty...this new take on young DC heroes I forced myself to read was a PILE OF BANTHA POODOO.

SO let me show you how I was able to achieve this and without having to spend more than 10 quid to boot!





I started out by ripping 1 page out first to measure how wide I needed the opening to be, then I got some card stock and traced it to make a template. **one thing I should've done was glue all the pages BEFORE I used the xacto knife to cut the pages out. Not doing so caused difficulty with cutting straight lines and would've prevented the paper from moving so much** I left the very first page uncut and you'll see why further down..








 Once the opening was deep enough to have pans in and be able to close, I took the first page that I didnt cut and made an "X" incision going from each inner corner then glued it down. This is to make the inside look sleek, getting rid of all signs of murdering all those comic book pages ๐Ÿ˜† next I took a magnetic A4 sheet I found at Hobbycraft (for £3) and, using that card stock template, cut it down to fit inside. I was sure that the bottom didnt have any debris but alas something managed to slip in there and now I'm stuck with this weird little bump under the magnet sheet T_T



 Oh well its not hindering the pans, but it is annoying haha, and be mindful that the magnet sheet is SUPER ADHESIVE. Once its down it is a pain to get off without serious damage.

 Next I found some PERFECT AF images to decorate the front, back and inside. I went with a Dr. Steinman theme since in the game he is a Cosmetic Surgeon, So the front is pre apocalypse(like the novel) and the back is post apocalypse like the game! You can see that same poster when you explore the Medical Pavilion. I went with the tried and true mod podge method, although I again missed a step and should've mod podged the top BEFORE gluing the image to the book. This is what happens when you try crafting with the flu! haha
 Now for the Finale.....
Front(L) Back(R)

Inside featuring products from GeekChic Cosmetics(top row) Lunatick Cosmetics Lab and Apocalyptic Beauty (middle Row) Too Faced (bottom row)

Bioshock Brush holder and Z Palette


 Even with all the little mistakes I am super happy with the turn out! I have my very own custom made Z palette by re-purposing an unwanted Comic book. Frick yea ๐Ÿ˜ haha. Has this inspired you to make your own? What book would you choose? let me know! and if you do create your own tag me in it I'd love to see your creations๐Ÿ˜Š ta ta for now xx







No comments:

Post a Comment